Arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO), where you will meet an Altezza Travel representative, and transfer to the hotel under the rate. The hotel will provide all the essentials for a comfortable stay: cozy rooms, hot water, polite staff, a swimming pool, and Internet access. In the evening there will be a briefing with our managers, who will also make sure you are ready to begin the climb.
Note: Check-in starts at 2:00 PM.
A guide and a mountain support crew will arrive at the hotel in the morning in order to meet you and hold a quick briefing, after which you will travel by vehicle to Kilimanjaro National Park's eastern entrance: Marangu Gate (1,860 m). After the quick formality of acquiring climbing permits and registering with the search and rescue service, the group will start trekking up to Mandara Hut (2,700 m). The trekking route includes passage through the rainforest (where tropical showers are highly probable), so we recommend you take not only spare clothes, but also your raincoats. When you reach the camp, our mountain support crew will take care of the necessities, pitch the tents, and prepare lunch.
Throughout the entire Marangu route, you will be spending your nights in special huts. They offer a great alternative to those who do not want to sleep in tents.
This will be your first day at this altitude, so it is strongly recommended you heed the following instructions from this point on:
- Abstain from consuming alcohol and caffeine
- Drink over 4 liters of bottled water daily (little by little, frequently)
- Take a Diamox pill to help alleviate symptoms of altitude sickness. Most mountain climbers take Diamox in the morning, before they start their ascent, in order to reduce discomfort associated with altitude sickness. We recommend you consult your doctor prior to the trip in case of potential allergies.
At night you may experience discomfort associated with acclimatization to the high altitude: because of a reduction in your waking breathing pattern, your body gets less oxygen than during the day. Taking altitude into account, you may therefore start feeling sick and have a headache. Pay attention to your own body and tell your guide if you start feeling any symptoms of altitude sickness.
Early in the morning after breakfast, the group will depart Mandara Hut to start a moderate trek towards the second high altitude camp: Horombo Hut (3,720 m). When you reach the camp on this day, you will be treated to views of two volcanos at once: Kibo and Mawenzi.
Several hours after lunch you will have to complete an acclimatization hike in the direction of Kibo Hut with a 200-meter gain in altitude, and then hike back down to Horombo Hut where dinner will be prepared for you.
Note: The acclimatization hike is an easy trek with a slight gain in altitude done in order to speed up the acclimatization process. You should take the acclimatization hikes very seriously. They help increase your chances of successfully summiting Kilimanjaro and save you from the consequences of altitude sickness.
Change in Elevation: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) — Destination point en route to Kibo Hut (3,920 m)
Hiking distance: 2.5 km
Hiking time: 1–2 hours
On this day, right after breakfast the group will be trekking to the Kibo Hut (4,700 m). The actual trekking is not very difficult, just remember to stick with an appropriate pace to keep up your strength for the trekking to Kilimanjaro's summit. When you reach the camp you will be served lunch, after which we recommend you sleep as much as you can, avoid any strenuous activity, and drink lots of water.
Night departure from Kibo Hut (4,700 m) and the start of your trekking to Kilimanjaro's summit: Uhuru peak (5,895 m). The trekking will be moderate from a physical standpoint, but the altitude presents a much more serious problem. For the entire length of the trekking each pair of climbers will be accompanied by their own guide, who will be monitoring your stamina and mental resolve. After your successful ascent to Uhuru Peak, you can descend to the nearest glacier if desired. Then you will return to Kibo Camp and after a two-hour rest continue your descent to Horombo Hut (3,720 m).
Note: Don't forget that 90% of all accidents occur during the descent, including all broken arms and legs. Please pay attention to your feet, as there is a high risk of damaging your toenails.
5,895 m to 3,720 m
You will be offered a warm breakfast in the morning, after which we will head for the Kilimanjaro National Park's exit: Marangu Gate (1,860 m). After your descent the whole group will gather to congratulate you, and then you will have the chance to share your opinions on the trip in the guestbook. Lastly, we will present you with your commemorative certificates (in our office) and provide you a transfer back to the hotel.
Rest in the hotel and transfer to the airport.
Note: Hotel check-out is at 11:00 AM. In case you need a late check-out because of an evening flight, there is the option to extend your hotel stay for an extra fee.
- Return transfer from Kilimanjaro International Airport to accommodation in Moshi;
- Return transfer from accommodation in Moshi to the entry gate into Kilimanjaro National Park.
- Park Fees: All park fees collected by Kilimanjaro National Park (conservation fees, camping fees, crew fees, vehicle fee, rescue fee and all others).
- Accommodation at 3* hotel (Aishi Machame Hotel or Altezza Lodge) one night before and one night after the expedition. You will have all for a comfortable stay - friendly staff, clean rooms, Wi-Fi, restaurant and swimming pool;
- Accommodation in huts. An average hut fits in 6-8 people. Allocation of huts is ruled by rangers of the national park. We will do our best to arrange separate huts for our groups, but during busy months you’re likely to share huts with climbers from other groups. Marangu huts are fitted with bunk beds. Our comfortable 4-inch thick mats will be put on your bunk beds, and you’ll feel safe and snug in your sleeping bag. During the rainy season huts will provide extra shelter from rain and wind!
In the hotel, you will share a room with your travel companion. If you travel solo on a group expedition, we will room you with a same-sex participant. Single supplement in the hotel is available upon request. Single occupancy in huts is not possible because of the rules of Kilimanjaro National Park.
- Breakfast in the hotel before and after the hike;
- All meals on the hike. You will find delicious energy-rich meals on our mountain menus. Our professional chefs will prepare assorted soups, garnishes, several types of fish and meat, fresh fruit and vegetables. Vegetarian/gluten-free/halal options are available at no extra cost;
- All drinks on the hike (coffee, tea, hot chocolate and water).
Hiking and safety equipment:
- 4-inch (10-cm) thick and comfortable sleeping mats;
- All group equipment (dining tent, table, chairs, crockery and cutlery);
- Oxygen cylinders and oximeters;
- GPS-tracking service;
- Complete medical kits including Diamox.
- Professional guides licensed by Kilimanjaro National Park. All guides are holder of Wilderness First Responder certification. All of them have 7+years of successful experience;
- Dedicated support crew (assistant guides, camp master, porters, cooks, etc.).
We are proud to be the members of KPAP (Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project). It is an unbiased evaluation of our commitment to fair treatment of our mountain crews. Of all operators Altezza is paying the highest wages to the porters, guides, cooks and other Kilimanjaro teammates. You may read more about our Kilimanjaro crews here.
- 18% VAT, 1% TDL and 0.3% Service Levy. Altezza Travel is an honest and responsible tour operator working in full compliance with the tax law of the United Republic of Tanzania.
- International flights;
- Visa fee (100 USD for American citizens and 50 USD for all others);
- Personal gear rentals;
- Lunch and dinner at the hotel (before and after the climb);
- Portable toilets are not available on Marangu route;
- Mountaineering insurance. You'll need special insurance for climbing Kilimanjaro that covers high-altitude trekking up to 6000 m.
Other Group Departures to Join
21AugustKilimanjaro: Machame route (7 days)August 21 - August 29, 2022$2 497
- Starry sky
23AugustKilimanjaro: Marangu route (6 days)August 23 - August 30, 2022$1 940Discount 10%
- Overnights in Huts
- Starry sky
27AugustKilimanjaro: Lemosho route (7 days)August 27 - September 04, 2022$2 589
- High-altitude drop off
28AugustKilimanjaro: Lemosho route (6 days)August 28 - September 04, 2022$2 249
- High-altitude drop off
- For experienced hikers
They Travel with Us