Transfer by an Altezza Travel vehicle from Kilimanjaro International Airport to your chosen hotel. All of the hotels we use offer comfort with rooms with hot showers, swimming pools, pleasant staff and Wi-Fi access. Your tour Manager will brief you on your forthcoming climb in the evening, answer your questions and make sure you are properly equipped for the climb, providing rental gear when necessary.
Note: Check-in starts at 2:00 PM.
A morning pre-climb briefing and introductions with our team precede the drive to Kilimanjaro Park's Eastern Gate: Marangu, which lies at 1,860 m. Here, your head guide arranges all necessary permits and registration for rescue and search services before you start the walk to Mandara Hut’s 2,700 m. The trail takes you through rain forest with its high probability of rain showers, so bring a raincoat.
This being your first day at high altitude we strongly recommend the following:
- Do not consume any caffeine or alcohol
- Drink often, a little at a time for a total daily intake of 4 litres minimum.
- Take Diamox for relief from altitude sickness symptoms. It is usually taken in the morning before the day's climbing. Consult your physician before undertaking the trip to check for possible contraindications.
- Heed your body's warnings and promptly inform your guide of any adverse symptoms.
Acclimatisation-associated discomfort is common at night, when your body gets less oxygen than during the day. This is normally expressed in the form of nausea and headaches.
Early in the morning after breakfast, the group will depart Mandara Hut to start a moderate trek towards the second high altitude camp: Horombo Hut (3,720 m). When you reach the camp on this day, you will be treated to views of two volcanos at once: Kibo and Mawenzi.
Several hours after lunch you will have to complete an acclimatization hike in the direction of Kibo Hut with a 200-meter gain in altitude, and then hike back down to Horombo Hut where dinner will be prepared for you.
Note: The acclimatization hike is an easy trek with a slight gain in altitude done in order to speed up the acclimatization process. You should take the acclimatization hikes very seriously. They help increase your chances of successfully summiting Kilimanjaro and save you from the consequences of altitude sickness.
Change in Elevation: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) — Destination point en route to Kibo Hut (3,920 m)
Hiking distance: 2.5 km
Hiking time: 1–2 hours
After breakfast you will go on an acclimatization hike towards Kibo Hut and back. After lunch you have the opportunity to walk around the surrounding area, take pictures of Mawenzi Volcano or just sleep before the upcoming trekking to Kibo Hut.
Change in Elevation: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) — Destination point en route to Kibo Hut (4,500 m)
Hiking distance: 5–8 km
Hiking time: 3–4 hours
On this day, right after breakfast the group will be trekking to the Kibo Hut (4,700 m). The actual trekking is not very difficult, just remember to stick with an appropriate pace to keep up your strength for the climbing to Kilimanjaro's summit. When you reach the camp you will be served lunch, after which we recommend you sleep as much as you can, avoid any strenuous activity, and drink lots of water.
Night departure from Kibo Hut (4,700 m) and the start of your trekking to Kilimanjaro's summit: Uhuru peak (5,895 m). This stretch of Marangu Route is of a moderate physical difficulty, but high altitude puts any climbers body to the test. For the entire length of the trekking each pair of climbers will be accompanied by their own guide, who will be monitoring your stamina and mental resolve. After your successful ascent to Uhuru Peak, you can descend to the nearest glacier if desired. Then you will return to Kibo Camp and after a two-hour rest continue your descent to Horombo Hut (3,720 m).
Please note: 90% of mountain accidents - including broken limbs - happen on the way down. However, they are easily avoided by taking care of how and where you step.
5,895 m to 3,720 m
You will be offered a warm breakfast in the morning, after which we will head for the Kilimanjaro National Park's exit: Marangu Gate (1,860 m). After your descent the whole group will gather to congratulate you, and then you will have the chance to share your opinions on the trip in the guestbook. Lastly, we will present you with your commemorative certificates (in our office) and provide you a transfer back to the hotel.
Enjoy the tranquility of your hotel before the airport transfer.
Note: while most hotels have an 11:00 AM check-out policy, they also offer late check-out for those with evening or night flights. The fees are moderate.
- Return transfer from Kilimanjaro International Airport to accommodation in Moshi;
- Return transfer from accommodation in Moshi to the entry gate into Kilimanjaro National Park.
- Park Fees: All park fees collected by Kilimanjaro National Park (conservation fees, camping fees, crew fees, vehicle fee, rescue fee and all others).
- Accommodation at 3* hotel (Aishi Machame Hotel or Altezza Lodge) one night before and one night after the expedition. You will have all for a comfortable stay - friendly staff, clean rooms, Wi-Fi, restaurant and swimming pool;
- Accommodation in huts. An average hut fits in 6-8 people. Allocation of huts is ruled by rangers of the national park. We will do our best to arrange separate huts for our groups, but during busy months you’re likely to share huts with climbers from other groups. Marangu huts are fitted with bunk beds. Our comfortable 4-inch thick mats will be put on your bunk beds, and you’ll feel safe and snug in your sleeping bag. During the rainy season huts will provide extra shelter from rain and wind!
In the hotel, you will share a room with your travel companion. If you travel solo on a group expedition, we will room you with a same-sex participant. Single supplement in the hotel is available upon request. Single occupancy in huts is not possible because of the rules of Kilimanjaro National Park.
- Breakfast in the hotel before and after the hike;
- All meals on the hike. You will find delicious energy-rich meals on our mountain menus. Our professional chefs will prepare assorted soups, garnishes, several types of fish and meat, fresh fruit and vegetables. Vegetarian/gluten-free/halal options are available at no extra cost;
- All drinks on the hike (coffee, tea, hot chocolate and water).
Hiking and safety equipment:
- 4-inch (10-cm) thick and comfortable sleeping mats;
- All group equipment (dining tent, table, chairs, crockery and cutlery);
- Oxygen cylinders and oximeters;
- GPS-tracking service;
- Complete medical kits including Diamox.
- Professional guides licensed by Kilimanjaro National Park. All guides are holder of Wilderness First Responder certification. All of them have 7+years of successful experience;
- Dedicated support crew (assistant guides, camp master, porters, cooks, etc.).
We are proud to be the members of KPAP (Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project). It is an unbiased evaluation of our commitment to fair treatment of our mountain crews. Of all operators Altezza is paying the highest wages to the porters, guides, cooks and other Kilimanjaro teammates. You may read more about our Kilimanjaro crews here.
- 18% VAT, 1% TDL and 0.3% Service Levy. Altezza Travel is an honest and responsible tour operator working in full compliance with the tax law of the United Republic of Tanzania.
- International flights;
- Tips (250-300 USD per climber for the whole mountain crew);
- Visa fee (100 USD for American citizens and 50 USD for all others);
- Personal gear rentals;
- Lunch and dinner at the hotel (before and after the climb);
- Portable toilets are not available on Marangu route;
- Mountaineering insurance. You'll need special insurance for climbing Kilimanjaro that covers high-altitude trekking up to 6000 m.
Other Group Departures to Join
02AprilKilimanjaro: Marangu route (6 days)April 02 - April 09, 2023$1 994Discount 10%
- Overnights in Huts
- Full Moon Climb
14AprilKilimanjaro: Marangu route (6 days)April 14 - April 21, 2023$1 994Discount 10%
- Overnights in Huts
- Starry sky
30AprilKilimanjaro: Marangu route (6 days)April 30 - May 07, 2023$1 994Discount 10%
- Overnights in Huts
- Full Moon Climb
01MayKilimanjaro: Machame route (7 days)May 01 - May 09, 2023$2 301Discount 10%
- Full Moon Climb
They Travel with Us